240/366 Wisdom from perspective

28 August 2016

Listened to Lim Siong Guan give his thoughts on Christianity in the workplace last night. Despite my initial reluctance to attend (audience was mid-40s and above; mingling with aunties and uncles require a special kind of energy), I'm glad I turned up. Reminded of how much insight experience provides and the value of learning from those who have gone before you. So easy to get caught up in trying to understand things from a narrow perspective instead of taking the optimal option that is the 'wisdom of the ancients'. Many issues are about perspective, some better than others. (Note to self: Keep that in mind). That man is a titan and one heck of a civil servant. In an hour, he touched on anthropology, a country's success, the fate of empires (John Glubb), the duty of government, honour, changes in a cultural landscape, and reframed it in the Singaporean context (SG100), along with a brief lesson on Singapore's history - all with great aplomb. For all the cynicism I have about the government, there's no doubt that this guy's heart is definitely for the country.

No comments :

Post a Comment