"What's it like there?"
"How did you find Brunei?"
"It's boring, right?"
My friends and colleagues curiously enquired when I returned. For most of them, Brunei is about the last place they would consider visiting. For those who had the opportunity - or misfortune, as a few corrected - to be there under National Service, the reaction was an almost unanimous disbelief manifested in the form of an incredulously raised eyebrow. Why are you even there??
"Well," I would reply with a shrug of my shoulders, "there admittedly isn't a whole lot to do." They would nod, "Yeah, that's what I heard/ thought," almost glad that this particular view had been affirmed. I usually leave out the part where I also admit that I quite like it there, because there is not a whole lot to do.
Afterall, Brunei is hardly known for its tourism. The number of Starbucks/ Coffee Bean outlets can be counted on one hand. The largest mall around hardly attracts crowds. There are mosques that are considered some of the most beautiful in Asia Pacific, but there is no Sagrada Familia, no Notre Dame that welcomes visitors and showcases the proud history of the religion or building. There is a water village said to be 'the Venice of the East' but its visual appeal pales in comparison to its well-known counterpart.
But is it boring? Not so. The idea that a place should have loud, well-marketed landmarks with the seal of tourist approval in order not to be boring is irresponsible, for lack of better word. Should not the vanquishing of said boredom be the responsibility of the bored individual?
Having been deprived of photography outings, I very happily spent two hours wandering around the Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque, and by wandering around I mean walking the entire perimeter of the place and beyond, looking for photo-worthy shots.
The Royal Barge rests on an enclosed body of water. Walking around provides an almost unobscured 270 degree view of the barge.
Beyond the Barge lies Kampong Ayer - the water village - a cluster of 42 villages linked by a mishmash of bridges and is mostly accessible by speed boats. It's a cheap thrill to hop aboard one of them and bounce your way across the water, but more on that the next time. The sunset colours are great here. I often leave the office around the time colours streak across the sky and for the nth time, I would be wishing I could catch that.

There is an almost unreal sense of contentment that lingers. It could be due to the general lack of people-masses anywhere, but the place hardly feels abandoned - there are pockets of human activity if you look closely enough. The kind where intruding with your presence might break a spell. Time saunters and I am glad it does for it lets me catch my breath and provides me with space to introspect - something I have neglected too much since I started work. Actually looking forward to going back there; it's almost like a short getaway.





No comments :
Post a Comment