Bored in Brunei I: How it all began

8 December 2014

It all started with a casual conversation with a colleague on the way to lunch:

“Would you be interested to do a project in Brunei? It’ll be similar to the project we’re doing now.” 

“Are there photos worth taking there?” 
(Which was a vague, rather pointless thing to ask because subjectivity.)

“Well, there are several mosques that are quite grand, and the beach is potentially nice too.”

 “YeaokayI’min.” Pause. “It’s unlikely I’ll go there for vacation anyway.”

“You know, you’re the first Singaporean I’ve spoken to who want to go to Brunei.” 
 Cue gleam of amusement from him and tinkling of alarm bells in my head as I mentally back-pedalled.

“You know, maybe I should do some research first on the client and place before I get back to you.”

“No no, you’ve already agreed.” 
And it was final.

After an intensive post-lunch Google of Brunei, the one conclusion I arrived at based on trip reviews? Brunei is pretty boring attractions-wise, which roughly translates to: wandering around isn’t the way to go.  Not that I was overly worried – after all, we are fast approaching the age of virtual lives.

Fast forward six weeks. It was a Monday evening when I left after a frenzied rush from a closing meeting back home and then to the airport, with dinner consumed blindly in the backseat of the car.

No comments :

Post a Comment